The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana upgraded its Case Management/Electronic Case Filing System (CM/ECF) to the Next Generation of CM/ECF (NextGen) on Monday, November 8, 2021. NextGen is the culmination of a multi-year project headed by the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts to provide for the current and future filing and case management needs of all CM/ECF users. A CM/ECF email blast with details was issued on September 3, 2021. For those details, please click here.
What is New for CM/ECF E-Filers in NextGen?
Central Sign-On is a new functionality that will allow attorneys and pro se parties who have been granted leave to electronically file ("E-Filers") to maintain one account across all NextGen courts (appellate, bankruptcy, and district). What this means is that E-filers will be able to use one login and password to access all NextGen courts where they have permission to file, as well as to access PACER for all courts.
E-filers must do the following in order to continue to electronically file in NextGen:
- Before November 8, 2021 (or as soon as possible if you have not already done so), obtain your own individual PACER account (click here to learn more) OR Upgrade your existing PACER account (click here to learn more).
- Know your current ECF Login and Password. If you do not remember your current ECF Password, click here to request your password to be reset.
- On or after November 8, 2021, link your PACER account with ECF. Click here for instructions.
- If you are a CJA attorney, you must complete steps 1 and 3 above. Click here to learn more.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How will I know if I have an upgraded PACER account?
Upgraded PACER Accounts have usernames that are at least eight (8) characters. If your username is six (6) characters, you do not have an upgraded account. Go to pacer.uscourts.gov and click on Manage My Account to upgrade your PACER account.
- What happens to my CM/ECF account after the court transitions to NextGen?
Once the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana has transitioned to NextGen on November 8, 2021, you must link your current CM/ECF account to your PACER account. Click here for instructions. After the accounts are linked you will no longer use your CM/ECF username or password.
- My law firm uses a shared PACER account. Can we continue to use that account?
No. Each attorney must have an individual PACER account to use for electronic filing in NextGen. The law firm can create a PACER Administrative Account (PAA) to manage the billing for all of the individual accounts. Staff members who share a PACER account only for research can continue to share.
- I have already linked my account when another court moved to Next Gen. Will I have to link my account again?
Yes, you must link your PACER account to your Indiana Southern District Court CM/ECF account before you can file in the Indiana Southern District Court. You will need to link your PACER account to each court that you practice in.
- I am a CJA attorney and I currently have two PACER accounts. Will I continue to need two accounts with NextGen?
CJA Attorneys will only need one PACER account for filing and viewing in NextGen CM/ECF. If you have a separate exempt CJA account now, those exempt privileges will be added to your individual upgraded PACER account and your current exempt account will be canceled. Instructions for Activating CJA Privileges can be found here, and instructions for CJA Exempt Status can be found here.
- More questions about your PACER account or need help?