Pursuant to Local Rule 83-5, attorneys who have been admitted to practice by the Supreme Court of the United States or the highest Court of any state may become a member of the bar of this Court.
Attorneys: To apply for admission and E-Filing rights to the Southern District of Indiana through your individual PACER account via www.pacer.uscourts.gov*, select this court and complete the process online, which includes paying the fee of $238. Bar admission applications will be processed in the order received, and as expeditiously as possible. Please allow two business days for processing of completed submissions.
To be admitted to practice in this court, you will be required to certify the following:
- You are in good standing in all jurisdictions in which you have been admitted.
- You have read and agree to abide by the Seventh Circuit Standards of Professional Conduct and the Local Rules of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, pursuant to Local Rule 83-5.
- You are not currently the subject of any disciplinary sanction, proceeding, suspension, or investigation in any jurisdiction.
- The sponsoring attorney identified in your request for admission is admitted and in good standing in the Southern District of Indiana and agrees to support your admission request, answer any court inquiries related to your request, and attests to your good personal and professional character and fitness as an attorney.
- If your admission is granted by this Court, you agree to take the prescribed oath or affirmation, pay the required fees, and provide current contact information, pursuant to Local Rule 83-5.
- You agree to promptly change any future name or contact information in PACER within 5 business days of the change, pursuant to Local Rule 5-3.
Notice to Attorneys Who Have Passed the February 2022 Indiana Bar Examination: On Tuesday, May 17, 2022, a ceremony for attorneys seeking admission to the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana will be held in conjunction with the State of Indiana bar admission ceremony. Attorneys wishing to be admitted to practice in the Southern District of Indiana during the admission ceremony must complete the steps outlined in this Notice on or before Thursday, May 12, 2022.
Pro Hac Vice:
Pursuant to Local Rule 83-6, attorneys may also be admitted to appear in a particular case through PACER, using his/her individual PACER account, selecting this court and completing the process online, which includes paying the fee of $100 per attorney, per case. After an attorney's submission is accepted, he/she will be notified that he/she may file his/her Motion to Appear Pro Hac Vice, along with a proposed order in the case(s) in which he/she seeks to appear.
- Sample 1 - Motion/Order to Appear Pro Hac Vice: (Please use this form if moving for own PHV admission as permitted by Local Rule 83-6.)
Certificate of Good Standing:
An attorney's "Certificate of Good Standing" and, if needed, a "Statement of Discipline" may be requested through the Clerk's Office. Please mail or fax the request along with a $20 fee to the address/fax number provided below. Checks should be payable to "Clerk, U.S. District Court."
U.S. District Court
Clerk's Office, Room 105
46 East Ohio Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204
(317) 229-3959 FAX
If you have any questions, please contact the Clerk's Office at (317) 229-3700.