2021 VIRTUAL Summer Teacher Institute
June 16-17, 20219 AM - 1 PMVIRTUAL WORKSHOP
Registration is NOW OPEN for the Southern District of Indiana's 2021 Virtual Teacher Institute!
Join the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana for a 2-day VIRTUAL workshop on the federal courts! The program will offer teachers an exclusive look at the workings of the federal courts with fresh ideas and content that you can take back to your classrooms. This event is designed for middle school and high school social studies teachers and is appropriate for both government and history courses.
Some highlights of this year's program include:
- Meet a federal judge! The Hon. Tanya Walton Pratt, Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, will speak to the group and answer your pressing questions about what it's really like to be a federal judge.
- Need some fresh tips and tricks for encouranging informaton literacy in your classroom? Heidi Kuehl, Circuit Librarian to the 7th Circuit Federal Courts, will demonstrate easy ways to teach students how to evaluate sources and spot "fake news."
- What are the top facts that judges and public educators within the U.S. Court system wish your students knew about the federal courts? Meet Hannah Solomon-Strauss, the Supreme Court's 2020-2021 Fellow and one of the attorney's behind the new U.S. Courts initiative, Federal Courts 101. Hannah will share key facts, little-known details, and unveil fresh new content available to teachers through the U.S. Courts.
- How can you, as middle and high school teachers, encourage your students to consider careers in the law? Join Patricia Kinney and Chastity Thompson, Assistant Deans at the IU McKinney School of Law, as they share the best ways to engage and interest students in the law, top skills they seek in applicants, and outreach opportunities available through the law school that may benefit your students.
- Are your students interested in the array of interesting professions found within the U.S. Court System? Learn more about the exciting work undertaken by a multitude of professionals with different educational backgrounds. Interact with a Deputy U.S. Marshal, Probation Officer, Law Clerk, Court Reporter, and more!
In addition to these great speakers, there will be fun interactive activities and a roundup of new resources and activities to take back to your classroom.
The event will take place via Zoom on June 16-17, 2021 from 9 AM to 1 PM. It is FREE, but space is limited. Register early to reserve a seat!
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Friday, June 4, 2021
To register, click on the registration form above, fill it out, and email to email@example.com.
Questions? Contact Mary Giorgio at (317) 229-3711 or firstname.lastname@example.org