You are here

Frequently Asked Questions -- Naturalization

  • I lost my Certificate of Citizenship/Naturalization and need it to obtain a passport. How do I get a copy of the certificate?

    The Clerk’s office does not keep or provide Certificates of Citizenship. The Certificate must be obtained from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. More information is available at:, or by calling (800) 870-3676, or (800) 375-5283.  The Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document (form number N-565) and instructions for completing the form are available online.


  • Can I process my passport application with the clerk’s office?

    The United States Postal Service processes passport applications.  Passport applications are available at  The USPS Locator link finds the nearest Post Office that accepts passport applications. 
    The U.S. Department of State provides additional information regarding passports at:

  • I’m a naturalized citizen and I would like to change my name. What's the procedure?

    Name changes will ONLY be granted if the new citizen attends the naturalization ceremony and completes a Name Change Petition. If the name was not changed on that day, then you must to contact your local County Court Clerk’s office for the proper procedures and costs.

  • How do I obtain of copy of my Name Change Petition?

    If you were naturalized at the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, in 1992 or thereafter -- please call the Clerk’s office at (317) 229-3700 to verify your naturalization date.  Upon providing a picture I.D., the Clerk’s Office will provide one free, certified copy of the Name Change Petition.

  • How do I find information regarding my great, great, grandfather who was naturalized in Indiana?

    Naturalization records dated 1929-1991 can be obtained from the National Archives, Great Lakes Region at 7358 South Pulaski Road, Chicago, Illinois, 60629-5898, (773)-948-9001.
    Naturalization records dated 1822-1928 can be obtained from the Marion County Clerk’s Office, Microfilm Library at B-31, City-County Building, 200 E. Washington Street, Indianapolis, (317) 327-4962.